CWAC Service Dress Cap – L.A. Giles
WW2 Canadian Women’s Army Corps (CWAC) service dress cap. The cap is in good used condition, leather strap is missing. The cap is named to L.A. Giles with service number W-40343. Maker marked by National Hat MFC Co. dated 1945, C broad arrow stamped.
The Canadian Women’s Army Corps (CWAC) was authorized on August 13, 1941, in response to a shortage of personnel caused by male involvement in the armed forces. The creation of the unit was the work of Mrs. Joan Kennedy, who faced opposition from conventional male military authorities. In 1941, the organization was named the Canadian Women’s Auxiliary Corps but was not officially part of the armed forces. On March 13, 1942, the women volunteers were officially integrated into the Canadian Army and became the Canadian Women’s Army Corps. They wore a regulation uniform and a cap badge consisting of three maple leaves and a collar badge representing the goddess Athena.
The CWACs served overseas, first in 1942 in Washington, D.C., and then in the United Kingdom. In 1944, CWAC’s also served in Italy and in 1945 in northwestern Europe. After victory in Europe, some served with the Canadian occupation forces in Germany. Approximately 3,000 Canadian volunteers enlisted to serve their country’s forces.
Out of stock